- Trade Show
Raise a glass to FAA’s Apartment Political Action Committee at this celebratory event. Tickets include transportation, a full open bar, desserts, and a VIP view of Epcot’s new nighttime spectacular “Harmonious.” Purchase your tickets with your full conference registration or separately for $200 each. Buy a bundle of 10 tickets and receive an additional complimentary ticket. Visit faahq.org/FWF to purchase tickets.
This year’s annual conference opening session will recognize past presidents and hall of fame honorees over the Florida Apartment Association’s first 50 years, and will feature the State of the FAA annual address from Executive Vice President Josh Gold, a message from FAA President Kimberly Maggard, and an update from National Apartment Association Chair Rick Graf. In addition, a special video presentation will celebrate FAA’s proud past and FAA’s new logo will be revealed as we look toward our promising future.
Following this celebratory kickoff, a speaker from the renowned Disney Institute will share Disney’s Approach to Leadership Excellence. “Leader” is far more than a title. Leadership is about taking actions to create…Read more.
The complexities of affordable housing can be daunting. This panel of affordable housing gurus will highlight the current state of the Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program, affordable housing trends, funding sources, and best practice to ensure federal and state compliance.
- Learn directly from HUD about rent collection trends during the pandemic.
- Gain insights into future affordable housing trends.
- Achieve a better understanding of the tools available to help you operate more effectively and efficiently.
Our country is in a real crisis. The fields of skilled workers have been over harvested and not enough seeds have been planted. As a result, there are simply not enough skilled workers to fill all the open positions. This session will give participants new ideas to cultivate their own soils, expose the right seeds, and provide the nutrients to grow their own maintenance teams organically. The seeds planted today will be the harvest of tomorrow.
- Create new cultures to engage our new workforce.
- Train existing workforce to mentor the new.
- Create career paths for growth.
Diversity and inclusion are critical factors to market growth; together, they help fuel innovation, enhance engagement with customers and employees, and help drive success in our ever-changing business landscape. If diversity and inclusion are good for business, why is it widely accepted that across industries people in underrepresented groups face unique obstacles in becoming senior leaders? Elizabeth Francisco will lead a panel made up of industry professionals who have successfully navigated their senior leadership and ownership paths. As a woman who rose from a leasing agent to a successful vice president in property management and ultimately president and founder of a multimillion-dollar software company, Francisco offers firsthand experience. She and the panelists will share their perspectives on the challenges they faced, the mistakes they made, and ultimately how they achieved success. Attendees will gain helpful insights into how the panelists prepared for senior leadership differently and identify what may be holding them back in their own career growth.
- Learn how to overcome hurdles in your personal career growth.
- Learn how to prepare for senior leadership
- Learn how to ensure your success once you arrive at the table.
- Leave the session feeling inspired.
Senior executives in multifamily management will explore shared challenges in a roundtable discussion. Topics will be determined by participants in the session.
Turning vacant apartments to rent-ready conditions is one of the most time-consuming tasks your maintenance teams perform. Unfortunately, this task can also be one of the biggest time-wasters. By streamlining your process, your team will discover more time to perform other tasks and will be able to communicate ready dates more effectively. As a result, rent loss will be reduced to a minimum. This session will dig deep into this process and offer alternative methods and new ideas to ensure your teams are being efficient with both time and money. Participants will be given a three-step improvement template that can be immediately applied to any team at any property.
- Better quality of rent-ready units.
- Increased efficiency.
- Reduced rent loss.
The COVID-19 pandemic shined a bright spotlight on the apartment industry and sparked a renewed interest in potential policy changes from the local, state, and federal levels. Many of these policy changes are designed to protect renters, oftentimes at the housing provider’s expense. This begs the question: What are the industry’s biggest public policy challenges in a post-pandemic world and how can you be part of the solution? Join our government affairs experts for a robust panel discussion regarding policy trends at the local, state, and federal levels. Topics include source of income protections in Florida, attempts to change Florida’s landlord-tenant law, housing affordability, evictions, section 8 reform, resident screening criteria, and more. This session will bring you up to speed on the industry’s advocacy efforts at all levels of government and how you can be part of the solution.
Less stress. More accomplished. Better resident relations. Maintenance teams are the most underutilized, underappreciated driver of topline revenue for a portfolio. While the leasing team “closes” a prospect, our heroes in maintenance have the greatest impact on lease renewals and property reputation. Learn how to handle any resident issue or complaint, sell any resident on renewing their lease, and get more done in less time and with less stress than you ever thought possible.
The risk of fraud at multifamily communities has grown significantly with increased use of digital services over the past year. It’s far more common than most believe, and it can waste massive amounts of time and money, plus quickly ruin your property’s reputation. This session will discuss how screening can combat increasingly sophisticated fraud techniques, processes you can put in place to help prevent fraud on multiple levels, and how to tell if your applicant screening service is truly doing its job.
- Understand why you need to combat fraud on multiple levels and put processes in place to immediately minimize risk to your community
- Recognize the complex tactics used by fraudsters when applying for an apartment, and identify red flags early in the process
- Understand the widespread risks that screening technology can help prevent for multifamily properties
Selecting the right apartment is confusing and stressful to renters, and building and showing value is one of the most difficult and important skills a leasing agent can have. This skill is more important than ever as many communities are locked in a “race to the bottom,” offering promotion after promotion to close the lease. Learn how knowing what is important to your renter and placing value on the gap between their current living situation and their ideal apartment will eliminate your need to engage in a pricing and incentive war with your competitors.
Passion can be defined as an intense emotion, a compelling enthusiasm, or a strong desire for something. Passion is when you put more energy into something than is required just to do it. Passion is ambition turned into action, to put as much heart, mind, body, and soul into something as is possible. Passion without specific goals, direction, or purpose, however, can become frustrating — like having your foot all the way to the floorboard on the gas pedal of your car, burning a lot of fuel, yet going nowhere.
When challenges take their toll on your energy level, you need a rekindling of your passionate spirit to uncover the most creative marketing, selling, and management ideas. Learn how to be more, do more, and create more success in your role; how to rise above stresses of the daily grind with your residents while displaying exemplary performance to those around you. Learn how to build a road map to figure out your destination and how to get there.
- Identify what is killing your passion at work.
- Understand how to deal with personality differences and multi-generational challenges.
- Overcome resident and team conflict and how to deal with those difficult situations.
- Define six steps to recreating your passion with purpose.
- Develop a personal pledge to be your best for 2020 and beyond
Traditional digital marketing tactics are beginning to have an adverse effect with renters, and could very well impact a company’s efforts to attract and retain renters. This growing apathy toward an outward-facing strategy can be seen in just about every industry and multifamily is no exception. Renters today are smarter and more eagle-eyed than ever before, but what makes sense on paper could negatively disrupt a renter’s online journey. In this session, we’ll delve into five outcomes of unintended consequences and what your company can do to avoid an accidental sabotage.
The market is evolving faster than ever before. We all build and sell the same white box, but technology advancements have added a multitude of variables to consider when assessing market conditions. Will the market bear a rent premium for upgraded amenities or upgraded unit finishes? Will our lease expirations increase unexpectedly? The answer used to be a guessing game, but technology has allowed us to capture more information today than ever before, and empower operators to make better decisions. This session will dive into the new technology-driven data operators are using to make smart decisions and maximize ROI.
- Panelists will discuss the evolution of performance metrics in multifamily and what operators are measuring today to drive operations forward.
- Panelists will discuss how they organize data, customized reports, and what combination of metrics is most helpful in decision making.
- Attendees will learn how to pull data from various places to create a one-stop shop for their data.
Even with all we do for our customers, they STILL aren’t happy? Sound familiar? Creating value for higher rental increases is a matter of perception. What we think they want versus what they REALLY want can be diametrically opposing viewpoints. The customer’s perception is YOUR reality. “The goal as a company is to have customer service that is not just the best but legendary,” says Sam Walton of Walmart. This session will share 10 surefire ideas that businesses outside the multifamily industry are doing to improve customer service response times and bring overall customer satisfaction levels to new heights.
- Reviewing your current customer service strategies and analyzing your plans
- Discovering how other companies are addressing these challenges through real-world case studies
- Identifying and creating 10 top ideas to put into place for immediate results
If you’re like most FAA members, you use it every single day — and yet, how well do you know the NAA Click & Lease? Join Ayiesha Beverly, assistant vice president, Legal, and counsel for the National Apartment Association; and Ryan McCain and Darren Ayoub with Barfield, McCain PA, for a discussion of the key provisions of the NAA Click & Lease (powered by Blue Moon) as well as other important forms from the NAA’s National Click & Lease Program.
In this session, you will learn about:
- Specifics of the lease documents and how to make the lease work for your needs.
- Common resident violations, including nonpayment, criminal activity, noise, Airbnb.
- New medical marijuana and support animal provisions.
- Importance of construction and mixed-use addenda when applicable.
- Fraudulent leases, mold, and how the lease provides protection.
- Landlord remedies in the event of breach/default of the lease.
- Lease renewal and non-renewal provisions, including notice requirements.
- Appropriate charges pursuant to the lease (pet rent, damages, late fees, attorney fees, etc.).
- Commonly used lease addenda, their uses, and limitations based on Florida law.
- Click & Comply — NAA’s newest performance management and compliance software.
- What’s next for Click & Lease? A Gold Standard Update.
Be a fly on the wall as renters tell us how they feel about negative reviews;, what management teams are and aren’t doing to satisfy residents; and what motivates them to rent, renew, and everything in-between in today’s high rent market. Hear firsthand as renters share their thoughts in a series of eye-opening video recordings.